They fled Burma, became traffickers’ Sex Slaves!

ALOR SETAR (Malaysia): The plight of the new ‘boat people’, the Rohingya refugees fleeing Burma has been hot news for weeks. A Malaysian newspaper has reported that trafficked Rohingya women kept at the illegal trafficking syndicate transit camp in Padang Besar, Thailand, were treated like sex slaves and subjected to gang rape by the camp ‘guards’.

Speaking with the help of an interpreter, 24 year old Nur Khaidha Abdul Shukur, who was held for eight days with her baby at the camp, said: “Every night, two or three young and pretty Rohingya women were taken out from the detention pens by the guards. They would be gang-raped. Two women at the camp became pregnant after the gang rape.”

According to Nur Khaidha, sometimes the guards would take away the women for several days.

“They would go missing for two to three days after being taken by the guards. I did not question them when they returned to their pens, but I know what had happened to them.”

“We knew from their expressions,” she said, adding that women who were detained in the pens were not allowed to talk and risked being beaten up.

The two pregnant Rohingya women, Nur Khaidha said, had been held at the transit camp for more than six months.

She said in the camp where she was detained last year, there were 15 Rohingya women, with five who had small children.

The five women with children were kept in the pens with their children but were not abused.

“Maybe the guards did not rape us because we had small children. But, regardless, I prayed every day so that I would not become their rape victim,” she said.

Nur Khaidha, who is from Maungdaw, Myanmar, followed in her husband’s footsteps to cross the Andaman Sea on a boat to Malaysia with her child. Several months earlier, her husband, Nurul Amin Nobi Hussein, 25, had boarded a boat from Maungdaw to Ranong, Thailand, in his effort to set foot in Malaysia.

Unknown to his wife, he was also detained by the human trafficking syndicate at their transit camp in Bukit Wang Burma, Wang Kelian.

Nur Khaidha was detained for eight days at the transit camp at Padang Besar, while her husband was detained in the camp at Bukit Wang Burma for 22 days before he escaped.

Nurul Amin, who now works at a workshop in Alor Setar, said his desire for a better life made him, his wife and son take the gamble to ride the ‘death’ boats to Malaysia.

Nurul Amin also narrated the same story – Rohingya women had been raped by the guards at the transit camp in Wang Kelian. “In the night, several of the guards would go to the pens housing the women and take them to a nearby place. “We heard the cries of the women because the place they raped them was very close to our pens,” he said.

Nur and her husband have been very lucky to be reunited in Malaysia. Their ordeal lasted for about a year . Nurul Amin and his wife Nur Khaidha are thankful they are free of the abject misery of being detained at the transit camps of the human trafficking syndicates and want to start a new life.

Share Button
Posted by on June 4, 2015. Filed under Breaking News,WORLD NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login